May 10, 2015

One week in the Dominican Republic

Hi everybody, I am sorry I didn’t write for two weeks, but I hope I can make it up to you with this very long post.
 
Two weeks ago my husband and I went to Bávaro, Punta Cana, in the Dominican Republic for a much needed vacation. For me it was the second time to go there. I like going to the Dominican Republic because of the great combination of beautiful beaches, stunning resorts and numerous possibilities for excursions.
 

 
This time we were only able to stay for 8 days. If you are traveling from Europe and have the possibility to stay longer in the Dominican Republic, I would suggest that you stay for at least two weeks, because the flight alone takes 10 hours or more in each direction. But even though we had only 8 days there, we managed to have several relaxing days on the beach and at the pool as well as two excursions. 
 
 
Our first excursion was to the Bacardi island. The island is actually called Cayo Levantado, but it is known as Bacardi Island because it was used in an advertising campaign for the Bacardi rum in the 1980’s. It is a beautiful small island, just 7 kilometers away from the city Samana, with 2 white sand beaches, one that is private and available only for the guests of the hotel on the island and another one that is open to the public. You can choose between two options, either to drive with a bus to the Samana Province or to fly with a plane. We chose to fly with a plane, because that way we had more time during the day for all of the activities.
 
The plane ride was a special experience in itself. It was the first time for me to fly with such a small plane. There was no flight attendant and no door to the cockpit, so we could watch the pilots as they were flying the airplane. 
 

 
In the morning we drove through the Samana Province, rode horses and swam under a waterfall (first time for us). After lunch we went with a boat to the Bacardi Island, were we had several hours to enjoy the beautiful white sand beach and to swim in the clear turquoise water. An added bonus was the tasty Piña Colada served in a pineapple with chunks of fresh pineapple inside.
 
 
It was an amazing day. If you ever go to the Dominican Republic I whole heartedly suggest you take this excursion. You won’t be disappointed.
 
Our second excursion was also wonderful. This one got our adrenaline pumping. Towards the end of our vacation we decided to do the Extreme Swing Adventure Tour with Canopy Adventure Zip Line Tours, where you get to do standard zip lining, then zip line with your face down in “Superman style” and what was most scary for me, to do the so called “Tarzan swing”. 
 
Similar to bungee jumping during the Tarzan swing you are connected to a cable and you jump from a high tower (around 30,5 meters high) and you free fall, but instead of being pulled up, you swing afterwards until you reach the ground. 
 
 
It was first time for me to do zip lining and I really enjoyed “flying” high over the trees, surrounded by beautiful nature. While zip lining in “Superman style” you get to go through a hole (tunnel) made between the branches of several trees which was also really cool. But I must say the “Tarzan swing” was what really got me out of my comfort zone. It was really invigorating and a lot of fun.
 

 
The whole tour with the Canopy Adventure Zip Line Tours was really nice. I liked that they are situated near the Anamuya Mountains, so we got to discover other parts of the Dominican Republic, away from the beach, like several small villages and cities, a tropical forest and beautiful mountains. The instructors and the tour guide were really friendly, we were offered water during the whole tour and at the end of the tour we were greeted with fresh fruit and drinks. 
 
My second trip to the Dominican Republic was as amazing and impressive as my first trip was and I would love to go there again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...